Saturday, July 12, 2008

Pre-Birthday Celebration







While Elise's birthday isn't until Monday, we celebrated with cake and ice cream this afternoon. Elise enjoyed opening gifts with the help of her cousins Aidan and Zane and loves the Big Bird and Zoe and little Elmo. And I love that she also got some great new clothes. The cake worked out ok except for the icing melting in this heat and humidity so Big Bird's feathers look a little flat and why can't I get red icing to ever really look red, not pink (and without tasting totally bitter)? The celebration continues Monday as we make cookies to take to daycare with Elise.

2 comments:

Linda Hocking said...

Have you tried paste food coloring? Sometimes I have better luck getting deeper colors w/ that and you don't need to use as much.

brendoll said...

They actually make "no taste red" paste food coloring. It's the only way I was able to get Kyle Firetruck cake when he turned two to not look pink but still taste ok. Alena's ladybugs when she turned three looked nice, but tasted pretty bad. The pics are in an album on my facebook account if you haven't already seen them.